Malta, Sliema, "Manoel Island"
Next Image

 

Malta, Sliema, "Manoel Island"

01/01/70

Manoel Island in Gziras Marsamxett Harbour, was originally known as l Isola del Vescovo or il-Gzira tal-Isqof in Maltese (literally translated as "the Bishops Island"). In 1643 Jean Paul Lascaris, Grandmaster of the Knights of Malta, constructed a quarantine hospital (lazzaretto) on the island, in an attempt to control the periodic influx of plague and cholera on board visiting ships. (January 2002)